WELCOME TO ALL WHO WISH TO LEARN MORE ABOUT WHAT BRITANNIA

& SURROUNDING AREA CAN OFFER TO OUR 55 plus.


Saturday, September 24, 2011

Terry Fox run for cancer & one of our seniors

A sculptor who has worked on three Terry Fox memorials, including the bronze casting at SFU, says the new sculpture unveiled Friday at B.C. Place is his favourite.
“This is the best,” said Stephen Harman, who worked for a time-constrained six months to realize Douglas Coupland’s vision of four statues that bring to life Fox’s famous hop-step gait.
“It’s amazing, and I knew it would be,” said Harman, who cast the bronzes and was putting some final touches on them yesterday.
Since the unveiling, the statues have been attracting crowds. John Pettitt was among the viewers yesterday.
“If you think about it, when he started his journey out east he was unknown, but now he’s larger than life,” Pettitt said of the figures that become progressively larger toward the road.
Lee Turner, a three-time cancer survivor and disabled runner, could relate to the struggle and triumph the bronzes capture. She said Terry Fox has been a source of inspiration.
He kept me motivated and inspired me,” said Turner, who completed both the short and long routes of the Terry Fox Run this year despite having to wear restrictive knee braces.
in the distance left side you see Lee & June walking home

1 comment:

Lee Turner said...

LOL!!! Great story but June & I were walking to the car, not home! I just ran the 2 routes of the Terry Fox Run totaling 13 K's as I was misdirected by a Run official. I don't run/ walk distances without my trusty "bionic knee braces" on so I would not attempt to walk home. It was a fantastic event & one of my favourites!