WELCOME TO ALL WHO WISH TO LEARN MORE ABOUT WHAT BRITANNIA

& SURROUNDING AREA CAN OFFER TO OUR 55 plus.


Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tuesday Walk 14TH

My Tuesday walking partners, Laurette and Deborah begged off today's walk. I didn't want to waste the balmy overcast weather, so I set off to explore three community gardens that my friend John told me about.

At Broadway and Commercial I caught the #9 bus and got off at Granville as I wasn't sure where the garden trail started that follows the right-of-way along the old rail line. I headed north to 8Th Avenue and walked west for three blocks then headed north again as I didn't see the railway tracks. At 8th and Pine, I noticed an architecturally designed brick walkway ahead of me and followed it north past meticulously groomed formal rose gardens inside a condo compound surrounded by a brick wall 3-4 feet high.

The walkway continued across 7Th Avenue down to 6Th, where I caught sight of the green way and rail line. On the green way, I turned west (left) and followed the trail past a weather-beaten round table with three plastic lawn chairs, past a locked box and battered wooden bench outside the rabbit fencing that surrounded new gardens, past shrubs and small trees.

At Burrard I saw the sign for Cypress Community Gardens and read the citation: in August 1999, this garden was selected by the City Parks Department as the most beautiful community garden in Vancouver. I could see why: the garden extends for two long blocks along the green way and contains every vegetable and flowering plant you can imagine., including apple trees bearing fruit, blackberry and raspberry vines fat with ripening berries, pole beans, peas, broad beans, lettuces. Each garden plot is built up within low plank walls. Further along, shrubs begin to appear and more chairs set out in a sitting circle invite walkers to rest. Outside the garden fence are numerous composting barrels, flowering shrubs, flower beds lined with brick and river rock, and leading into the gardens are narrow pathways of brick, slate, large tiles and stonework.

In the centre of one garden is a circular plaza of cement blocks with a small raised garden in the middle and chairs randomly set for viewing all parts of this charming spot. Branches of fledgling fruit trees overhang the plaza creating a pleasant resting place.

I stopped to chat with an elderly lady, Diane, who told me the gardens were started 20 years ago and she has maintained a plot for the past 12 years. She loves "getting lost" amidst the greenery and perfumery as she tends her plants. Further along, I met a tall man with a pleasant smile, Eddie, who started a garden two years ago with his young daughter. He was watering his plot and proudly showed me his collection of garlic plants which he will braid into a rope this afternoon. He was delighted to show me his bay leaf tree which almost died off last winter but is growing strong again.

Beyond Cypress Gardens are the Maplewood Community Gardens. There I paused to chat with two older ladies who encouraged me to invite friends to see their gardens. Maplewood also continues for two city blocks up to Arbutus and has a waiting list of two years. Across Arbutus, is a large sunken garden between two old houses; this is the Kitsilano Community Garden and contains mostly vegetables including corn stalks, tall onion stalks balancing flowering balls on top, boysenberries and raspberries, as well as many lovely flowering shrubs.

I followed the rail line to a small community park and playground leading back to Broadway. St Augustine's Parish School nestles beneath tall green poplars and on the end brick wall is a large banner, "Participate in the Legacy; help us build our school brick by brick." Every brick on the wall contains the name of a person or family that helped build the school.

It is heartening to see community spirit thriving in every sector of our lovely Vancouver. In the gardens were bees: honeybees, bumblebees and wasps - which gave me hope that we will not lose our faithful pollinates for without them to pollinate fruit and vegetable blossoms,the plants cannot produce the fruits and vegetables that we need to survive.

Going into the week, I hope you will enjoy the bounty of summer crops and sunshine.
Virginia

No comments: